Fourways Sandton Women’s Clinic is a well-known abortion Clinic in Sandton that provides safe abortion services. When it comes to abortion, it is important to find the nearest abortion clinic to avoid any complications that may arise from traveling long distances. Fourways Abortion Clinic is conveniently located in 11 Ruby Cl, Witkoppen, Sandton, 2068 and is easily accessible to patients from nearby areas.
Our doctor will review your stage of pregnancy, medical history, previous pregnancies and use of contraception. The abortion procedure and its possible risks are explained along with the different methods of contraception.
All patients are required by law to go through mandatory pre-abortion counselling before the procedure. There is a subsequent waiting period of 48 hours before you can return back to terminate your pregnancy.
Abortion is carried out either by medical abortion (up to 9 weeks* of pregnancy) or surgical abortion (8 to 12 weeks* of pregnancy). The entire procedure usually takes about 90 minutes.
If you decide to have an abortion, you’ll need to sign a consent form before the procedure.
You’ll need to return for a review appointment two weeks after the abortion. There will also be mandatory post-abortion counselling. We understand that choosing to undergo an abortion is not an easy decision. We are always available to support you through your physical and emotional recovery
Medical Abortion Fourways Sandton
The abortion pills used for medical abortion are approved for use in Fourways Sandton. The first medicine, Mifepristone, ends the pregnancy by blocking the hormone, progesterone. Without progesterone, the lining of the uterus breaks down and the pregnancy cannot continue.
The second medicine, Misoprostol, makes the womb contract, causing cramping, bleeding and the loss of pregnancy, similar to a miscarriage.
You need to undergo Abortion Counselling and have a 48-hour waiting period before going for the abortion, according to the Termination of Pregnancy Regulations.
Your pregnancy should be less than 63 days after the first day of the last menstrual period (9 weeks’ gestation). You must adhere strictly to the clinic’s protocol to prevent failure or complications.
Arrange to have someone with you at home as the abortion timings vary for individuals. Most women pass the pregnancy within 4 hours.
The Medical Abortion Procedure Fourways Sandton
Misoprostol (the second medication) tablets are placed in the vagina or between the cheek and gum. After 1 to 2 hours, you’ll experience strong, painful cramps and heavy bleeding. Bleeding and pain are often the greatest when the pregnancy is being expelled. You’ll be given painkillers to help you manage the pain.
Most women pass the pregnancy within 4 hours – timings vary for individuals. Almost all women miscarry within a few days.
In case of emergencies or if you did not bleed within 24 hours of taking Misoprostol, contact the clinic for advice.
After the Medical Abortion
You will experience the following symptoms:
- Nausea or vomiting after taking Mifepristone: If you vomit within 1 hour of taking it, you may need to take the pill again. If you think you may have miscarried between taking the mifepristone and misoprostol, contact the clinic.
- Heavy bleeding: Once the pregnancy passes, the amount of bleeding and cramping should noticeably reduce and you’ll experience light bleeding for about two weeks, even up to your next period.
- Large blood clots and pregnancy tissue: The blood clots may be as big as a lemon. For pregnancy under 8 weeks*, the white and fluffy pregnancy sac with brown-red tissue may be visible. The pregnancy tissue is larger and more recognisable at higher gestations.
- Occasional cramping: Cramping will happen for about a week. This is easily managed with mild painkillers.
- Fetus shape: A 9-week fetus is about the size of an olive and you may recognise its shape. If you are worried about what you may see when the abortion happens, please discuss this with the clinic.
Seek medical attention if you have the following symptoms:
- Unpleasant vaginal discharge
- High temperature
- Lower abdominal pain
- Excessive bleeding beyond three weeks
- A delayed period beyond eight weeks
- A short episode of pain with a gush of blood or a clot several weeks after the abortion
We understand that abortion is not an easy procedure. We are always available to support you through your physical and emotional recovery.
Contact Fourways Women’s Clinic
Call Or WhatsApp Number 0791653574
Fourways Clinic Address
11 Ruby Cl, Witkoppen, Sandton, 2068